Bluehost Does Not Offer GZIP Compression

Jul 9, 2010 | | |

I have a website hosted at Bluehost.com, which i have been monitoring with Google's Webmaster's Tools.

A couple of months ago the Webmaster Tools dedicated an area within its Labs sections called site performance, which shows you performance statistics of your site. You can use this information to improve the speed of your site and create a faster experience for visitors.

For some time now the tool has been alerting me that my site is slower than more than 60% of websites on the internet. It has suggested that I compress my website using GZIP which can be used to compress the WebPages on the site, and most of its content and supporting files such as .css files.

I have therefore make an effort at contacting Bluehost.com about the fact that I have found it difficult in compression the website using the .htacccess file, but Bluehost has admitted that the hosting company doesn't support the GZIP functionality.

I then threatened the support person that if I am unable to compress the website I will be moving to a host which does, but he reiterated there is nothing that can be done.

I will therefore have to move the website as Google and probably other search engines will determine the ranking of websites based on the speed and compression of the website.

I have decided to post this article as it has been unclear if Bluehost allows the GZIP compression functionality.

0 comments: